Saturday, January 17, 2009

Remembrance: Variation 16 (17/365)

Description of the 365 Project

As I wander through these variations, I find myself drifting from the original message and beauty of the music and lyrics. I suppose that's only natural when attempting to write 364 variations. However, I do want to consciously return to the simplicity of "Let There Be Peace on Earth" throughout this year of reflection & remembrance.

(Mom with my sister Heather)

Today, I have combined our theme of peace with that of grace and thankfulness by using the tune "Amazing Grace." I had never really paid close attention to the lyrics of this popular tune until now and realized how poignantly they reflect some of the challenges faced by my mother. Here are a few of the verses:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

John Newton (1725-1807)


Let There Be Peace on Earth, Variation 16
arranged by Nathan Daughtrey



Original words & music by Sy Miller and Jill Jackson
Copyright © 1955, Renewed 1983, by Jan-Lee Music (ASCAP)
This arrangement Copyright © 2009, by Jan-Lee Music (ASCAP)
International Copyright Secured. All Rights Reserved. Reprinted by Permission.


**If you are viewing this entry using a feed reader such as Bloglines or Google Reader, you are likely unable to view the music player that houses the theme or variation. Please view at the original blog address (http://marimbamisadventures.blogspot.com).

2 comments:

hrabalais said...

OK, you got me. Absolutely love it... and the words that go along too. Thank you... Love you!

divabird said...

I love the picture! Your mother would be so proud of you. Using your immense talents to honor her in this way is really special.